We are glad you are considering applying to our program! To prepare for your application, you will need to gather information and documents so as to provide: a current resume, 3 email addresses for professional/academic references, details about work and volunteer history, and transcripts to calculate GPA for last 60 semester units. The application is split into two sections: your application to CSUMB Mentor, and the application to the MSW program.
Things to know before applying:
The MSW program has a number of prerequisites and requirements:
- The three prerequisite courses for admission are : Human Biology, Statistics, and Computer Literacy. Statistics and Computer Literacy must be completed within the last five years.
- To be considered for admission to CSUMB’s MSW program, a GPA of 3.0 for the last 60 semester / 90 quarter units of college studies is required, or 2.75 with the GRE.
- Social work-related experience is an important factor in our evaluation of applicants. We will accept those with less than a full year of full-time experience, but many of our field agencies prefer students to have at least that much experience. (For those with limited experience we may ask you to complete an additional 100 hours of social work-related experience.)
- We also encourage applicants to strengthen their writing skills via coursework and tutoring. Strong writing skills are essential for graduate studies and professional social work positions. (APA style is used in most academic social work settings.)
- This is the link for more detailed information about prerequisites and requirements to think about before applying.
In order to meet the application deadline, you must have completed both the application to CSUMB via CSU Mentor, and the application to the MSW program. You will need to allow at least four days to complete both applications, and additional time for transcript and reference submission.
- October 1, 2013 - Admissions is open for Fall 2014.
- January 31, 2014 - Deadline for priority admissions. If you have completed the entire MSW application by this date, you are guaranteed consideration for the program.
- To Be Updated Soon - General admission period opens for Fall 2013. We will consider applications on a space available basis, giving priority to those with complete applications sent in by March 1 and soon thereafter.
- To Be Updated Soon - Deadline for general admissions. If you have completed the entire MSW application by this date, your application will probably be reviewed, though earlier applicants will receive earlier notification.
Here's how to apply:
- Go to CSU Mentor and follow the instructions to apply to CSU Monterey Bay. After selecting CSU Monterey Bay as your desired university, you will be given an option to apply to the Master of Social Work program. (You can say "sending to MSW" program when asked for the statement of interest and references, or provide brief information.)
Request that a copy of all official transcripts (unless they are from CSUMB) be sent to:
MSW Program at CSUMB, Attn: Vivienne Orgel, MSW
Beach Hall West
100 Campus Center
Seaside, CA 93955-8001
- In addition, follow the instructions provided by CSUMB's Admissions Office to send another copy of official transcripts to the university.
Once your CSU Mentor application is completed, you will receive two emails from the university within three business days:
- Information about the application process at CSUMB, including your OtterID, which you will use to log in to MyCSUMB.
- A link to your application for the Master of Social Work program.
- If you do not receive these emails within this time, please contact the Office of Admissions.
- Once your complete application has been submitted, it will be reviewed by MSW staff and faculty. You may receive emails regarding your application.